Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Project Z #1: A Zombie Ate My Homework by Tommy Greenwald

A Zombie Ate My Homework (Project Z #1)My name is Norbus, but my new moniker is Arnold Z. Ombee. I'm a zombie, and I conceptualized the name myself. Oops, Lester told me to stop using big words if I'm going to fit in at school. Don't worry about me eating your brains, since there would be terrible consequences if I eat anything but jelly beans. My "uncle" Bill Kinder says we can't let the people from the Territory know where I am, since I escaped from their human regeneration program. He figures it's best if I act like a normal fifth grader. We've come up with stories to explain my pale skin and other differences, but some of the kids have let their imaginations get carried away. I trust the Bender family, but I'm worried that my presence has put them in danger. 

I was very surprised that I enjoyed the book as much as I did. I expected a silly story about a zombie boy, but the author added some depth to the plot. Arnold (Norbus) was a harmless, kind zombie and only wanted to fit in. He was physically, mentally, and emotionally different from the other kids at school, and he did all he could to be accepted. Readers should easily embrace him and identify with his character. One of his two best friends suffered from childhood leukemia and had a leg amputated. Arnold was drawn to him, and their friendship became a key element in the story. Luckily, his other best friend was accepted by most of the other students, so she helped buffer some of the teasing. The book really displayed how people from different backgrounds can be misunderstood but still accepted for their character. The most important aspect of the book was Arnold's moral code. Imagine someone saying that about a zombie! He was trusting, he was honest, and he had empathy for other characters. Arnold didn't want to hurt anyone else and always wanted to do the right thing. The story would have turned out much differently if he'd displayed different values. I'm not sure what to expect in the book's sequel, Zombies are People, Too, but I'm looking forward to finding out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.