Sunday, September 22, 2019

Bran Hambric #2: The Specter Key by Kaleb Nation

The Specter Key (Bran Hambric, #2)My name is Bran, and I've found a strange box that once belonged to my deceased mother. It's clearly protected by her magic, so I need to keep it a secret. I've been contacted by Specters, and I don't know if opening the box will be a good thing or if it will unleash evil. Plus, it projected a bright green energy that destroyed my house and took away my best friend Astara. Later, I met someone from my past, and I don't know if it should make me happy or angry. The bitterness is winning that battle right now, but I truly believe Astara is not dead. I need to keep my focus on rescuing her, even though some people say that may lead to disaster. I've still got to try. 

I didn't read The Farfield Curse first, and I wish I had. Bran's mother had an important past, and I really needed to know what she'd done. She apparently was an evil woman, but she was also Bran's mother. It's hard to envision a mother being evil, but her use of powerful, dangerous magic didn't leave a positive impression. I also couldn't fully grasp Bran's relationships with other characters and didn't know the extent of his magical abilities. As a result, I was able to follow the plot but felt like I was still missing something. That's not the author's fault, since I didn't read the books in order. Bran's virtue carried the story, as he wouldn't give up hope for his friend. He was told several times that she was gone, and he knew his efforts might be futile with no chance of success. His relationship with his father was complicated but understandable. Genetics doesn't make someone a true father. It was nice to see another complicated man enter his life who offered some comfort and compassion. I plan to read the first book in the series next and then move on to the third one, once it gets published. Give the series a shot, but I suggest you read them in order!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.