Wednesday, June 19, 2019

The Unwanteds Quests #3: Dragon Ghosts by Lisa McMann

Dragon Ghosts (The Unwanteds Quests Book 3)My name is Thisbe, and I don't think anyone knows I've escaped from the Revinir's dungeons along with Sky and Dev. The Revinir forced me to drink dragon-bone broth, and I know it's having a scary effect on me. I'm trying to conceal the scales on my arms, but the visions I'm having are hard to ignore. I can't tell if they're from the past or from the future. What do they mean? I'm not sure any of my friends are looking for me at this point; they may have assumed I'm dead and returned to Artime. Something's happening here to the dragons and the children with black eyes. I'm feeling a strange pull too, and it's hard to resist. I feel I need to return to the dungeons and free a woman I don't even know. I now find myself alone and wondering what I should do.

You need to read the first two books in The Unwanteds Quests series, and it wouldn't hurt to read The Unwanteds first. Alex died in the previous book, and the early part of Dragon Ghosts covered his history and the history of the magical world of Artime. To be honest, the first half of the book felt like it was getting ready for something to happen without anything actually happening. Characters didn't fully understand Thisbe and Alex's situations and were thinking of plans for what they should do. There were mistaken assumptions that led characters astray. The second half of the book was much more interesting and included a lot more action. The conflicts became clearer, and the opposing positions more defined. As expected, the Revinir continued to be the main antagonist, but underwent some changes. These changes complicated her abilities, so the protagonists weren't sure how to stop her. It will continue into the next book. While the books read like normal middle-grade novels, the author doesn't shy away from death. Important characters may be lost (Alex for example), so potential twists are unpredictable. I wish I didn't need to wait for each edition of the series to be published. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.