Thursday, August 9, 2018

My Gym Teacher is an Alien Overlord by David Solomons

My Gym Teacher is an Alien Overlord (My Brother is a Superhero, #2)My name is Luke, and I was angry and lonely before I screwed everything up. Don't tell anyone, but my brother Zack is Star Guy, and my neighbor Lara is Dark Flutter. They're too busy saving the world to spend time with me, and I can't hang out with my best friend Serge since his parents say I'm a bad influence. So... that's how I came to play the new Puny Earthlings! video game and showed aliens how to defeat Star Guy. I can't convince my brother of the alien invasion, so it looks like it's S.C.A.R.F.'s time to shine. However, my teammates aren't talking to me, and I'm asking for help from Christopher Talbot, the comic book store owner who once tried to take over the world. You know your plans to save the planet are shaky when you need to trust a supervillain.

As you may have sensed, this book tells a silly, corny story of good versus evil. The alien plot concerns an intergalactic reality show, and it uses Luke's thoughts to frighten him. The spaceship looks like his school, and all of the aliens appear as his PE teacher. Luke is annoyed that a guy from another dimension gave Zack and Lara superpowers, while he's the lover of comics who most wants to be a superhero. To be fair, Zorbon couldn't give Luke powers in book one, since Luke was taking a bathroom break. Luke's conflicted, since it's hard for a hero without powers to defeat supervillains and aliens. His intelligence and imagination are keys to resolving the conflicts, but he doesn't get any public recognition. The entertainment in this book comes from the wacky situations, characters, and goofy jokes. Heck, TV remote controls are alien weapons. The last page drops a huge surprise that leads right into a sequel. Overall, you need to have a high tolerance for goofiness to enjoy this book. I do, and I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.