Sunday, October 10, 2021

Willodeen by Katherine Applegate

My name is Willodeen, and I don't much care for being around other people. My parents and brother died in the last great fire, and I appreciate that Mae and Birdie have welcomed me into their home. I love exploring the forest, and I've taken to recording my observations of hummingbears and screechers. No one likes screechers, so the town council is paying hunters a bounty for killing them. On the other hand, the town survives on money made at the annual Faire when visitors come from all over to see the migrating hummingbears. However, hummingbears are becoming scarce, and I fear all of the screechers have been killed. Everything in nature works together and needs to be in balance, so I wonder if the demise of the two creatures might be related. 


The plot shares a message regarding the interdependence of living organisms. Mankind tends to exterminate things in nature it doesn't like without regard for the consequences. Cutting trees down takes away homes for squirrels and birds and may remove food sources for other creatures. In this book, Willodeen is the one who recognizes how nature works, but how many adults take advice from young children? Plus, she likes screechers, so most people view her as a little wacky and strange. She's a loner, but this fact is challenged when Willodeen meets a boy willing to help her. He helps her realize she can benefit from being around other people, and maybe humans have an interdependence too. The story is well-written and sticks to the main conflict without numerous subplots to complicate things. The result is a book that flows smoothly, is engaging, and teaches a valuable lesson. Overall, I highly recommend you read this book, as I've nominated it for the 2021 Cybils Award in Middle Grade/Elementary Speculative Fiction. The characters are endearing, and Willodeen is an inspiration for people wanting to have their voices heard. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.