Friday, January 1, 2021

The Uncommoners #1: The Crooked Sixpence by Jennifer Bell

My name is Sylvie, and my brother Seb and I fell into a handbag and emerged in a world of uncommoners located deep under London. This world uses uncommon objects that are powered by the souls of dead people. My first experiences were with the teeth of a comb changing to pointy fangs and lemon juicers that provided light in a cave. We've been helped by a boy named Valian, but we don't fully trust him due to how he sneaks off. We've learned that our granma is an uncommoner, which means Seb and I are too! Her family disappeared in 1969 on the same day she lost her memory. It has something to do with the Dirge, and this evil group is trying to get something back from Granma, but what? Seb and I now have two days to figure it out and save the lives of our parents. 


I found this book randomly while searching in my library's directory. The idea of the uncommoners was unique, although I wish the author had come up with a more creative name. The uncommon objects made me curious, as I anticipated what they might do. It seemed like Sylvie was nervous about touching anything, because she didn't know what might happen. I mean, the "police" used toilet brushes as weapons! The plot developed into a mystery, as the siblings tried to figure out about their family's past and Granma's amnesia. What really happened back in 1969, and why had the Dirge returned after being dormant for all these years? Why would the Dirge be coming after their family now? The kids became detectives but were hampered by their lack of knowledge about the uncommon world. Valian was the wild card, as he helped them navigate the streets and caves but seemed to be keeping secrets. What was he really up to? The entire cast of characters was eccentric, as they had unusual appearances and abilities. There were different types of ghouls, goblins, and uncommoners who could transform their appearances or secretly maneuver around the city. Spectacles changed to drinking glasses, bells were able to talk, and paper clips became handcuffs. The whole book was quite magical and creative, and I recommend you give it a shot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.