Wednesday, March 28, 2018

The Abode by Patricia Mather Parker

The AbodeMy name is Fel, and I escaped from the Abode but returned through the Mist to free my friend Molly and the other children. I found Molly at the bottom of the Great Hole where fish guts are tossed, but she wasn’t alone. A dragon named Ywyn used the Summoning to tell us about our past. I don't fully understand yet how it happened, but we were once dragons too! Ywyn's brother Gwyr has imprisoned him in this cave for years, and Molly is the key to freeing him and all the other dragons. Gwyr used two of the three magical orbs for evil purposes, but Molly has possession of the third one. Everyone in the Abode fears Gwyr's ruthless power, but Molly is the new Black One. She is the only one who can rescue all the dragons from eternal servitude. 

I received a copy of the book from the author, and I was very impressed with the quality of the writing. After so many years of reading middle grade novels, it's rare when I find new ideas for common topics. The Abode developed surprising twists to the plot that kept me wondering what might happen next. I clearly understood the plight of the dragons, but I wasn't sure how Molly and Fel might resolve the conflict. The characters didn't fully understand the problem until later in the book, as the Visitor was a mysterious, unknown villain; I won't reveal his identity here. The suspense in the plot ebbed and flowed. Characters escaped and made plans to stop the Visitor, while others were captured or punished. The main characters became trusted friends and developed a family feeling. It was cool to see humans working with dragons to resolve a dragon problem. The author offered a bit of humor, as a parrot and pirate captain bantered with a general dislike for each other. It became clear this dislike masked a growing respect. Overall, I loved the book and recommend you add it to your reading list.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.