Tuesday, February 14, 2017

The Nethergrim Trilogy #1: The Nethergrim by Matthew Jobin

The Nethergrim (The Nethergrim, #1)My name is Edmund, and my father found my hidden magic books and tossed them in the fireplace! Animals have been disappearing, and Tom narrowly escaped some creature in the night while watching his master's sheep. Katherine, Tom, and I later found my brother and his friends being attacked by bolgugs and a thornbeast. I cast my first spell to drive the creatures away, but two of the kids were taken, including my brother. I stole a wizard's book from a customer at my father's tavern, and I now realize the Nethergrim needs seven live children to give it eternal life. Katherine's father supposedly killed the Nethergrim twenty years ago. He's gone out in search of it again, but his horse has returned without a rider. Now, my friends and I must face the Nethergrim to save Katherine's father and everyone else for miles around.

I found Edmund's magical powers refreshing. I've read so many books with characters using their new-found powers at every opportunity, but Edmund wasn't like that. He kept trying to learn spells but couldn't get them right. I think he only cast two spells during the whole book, but they were doozies. He wanted to save the captured children, and his vulnerability added to the uncertainty. Family love was evident, as Edmund was determined to rescue his bratty brother. Edmund, Katherine, and Tom formed a tight group, and both boys displayed affection for Katherine. Despite this conflict, their loyalty to each other never wavered. The Nethergrim started to communicate directly with Edmund near the end of the book, so this added a new dimension to the conflict. Overall, this was a great book, and I've already gotten my hands on the sequel, The Skelleth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.