Monday, January 9, 2017

Hagwood Trilogy #1: Thorn Ogres of Hagwood by Robin Jarvis

Thorn Ogres Of Hagwood (The Hagwood Trilogy, #1)My name is Gamaliel, and I can't even succeed at wergling into a mouse. Changing into different animals is the key to our survival, and I'm thankful that Finnen is trying to help me. No one can wergle better than him; it's almost unnatural. Later, I'd only heard stories about the High Lady, but Finnen took me along to secretly see her and her army of terrifying creatures. They really exist, and Frighty Aggie too! Frighty Aggie bit me and I almost died, but I think the poison has affected me in some strange way. Smith, the Pucca who saved me, told us about the High Lady's growing power, and he says he has a way to stop her. However, the death of Mufus has changed everything. Finnen has been exiled, and the other wergles don't believe the great danger that will soon befall them. I must do something to help my friend, and save my village.

Hopefully you won't mind animals as characters. This book is much better than I anticipated, and I'd like to read the next book in the trilogy. Gamaliel is just like other inept main characters who turn out to be heroes. He can't learn to wergle until his life depends on it, and then the results are very unexpected. Finnen's character had many of the same issues as Gamaliel, but he took a shortcut to help with his wergling. Now, he regrets the decision, and his secret makes him a reluctant hero. Strangely, Frighty Aggie, a fearsome creature of legend, takes an interest in him. The author kept a nice pace to the plot and included enough action to keep readers engaged. Besides several skirmishes, there are some larger fights with Frighty Aggie and the High Lady's secret army. The climax to the book is the battle with the army, and the wergles accidentally figure out a way overcome the overwhelming odds. I recommend you give this book a shot!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.