Monday, September 6, 2021

A Touch of Ruckus by Ash Van Otterloo

My name is Tennie, and I'll do anything it takes to keep the peace, especially to help my mom. I can't let anyone know about my ability to see their memories just by touching an object they owned. It seems like an invasion of privacy, plus some of the memories are very disturbing. I've met a new friend named Fox who has the ability to see ghosts, and I'm starting to see and hear them too. The ghosts in the forest seem very upset, but we don't know why. They leave messages I don't understand, and they're starting to mess with things around my grandmother's house. They seem especially agitated when Mr. Barton's around. I can't tell my grandmother that I can see ghosts, so I'm the one blamed for the messes. The ghosts are becoming more aggressive, so I need to settle this problem once and for all. 

The book is “To those who take the back seat to keep the peace.” Tennie doesn’t want to share her true thoughts and feelings, because it might make things worse for others, especially her mother. Tennie’s forced to wear gloves all day, so she won't accidentally see anyone else's memories. This twist makes life interesting, although I'm surprised how easily other characters accept this quirky behavior. Making life easier for others and not trespassing on their memories become internal conflicts Tennie must face throughout the book. The author is able to create an eeriness that slowly takes over the story. The forest feels off. Fox’s character presents another mystery to unravel. The gender uncertainty makes Fox more endearing, although they're clearly hiding something. There are many clues about underlying issues and problems, so the plot and climax don’t present any surprises. The book is meant to be a ghost story, and it meets that mark with flying colors. I recommend you give it a shot.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.