Monday, September 13, 2021

Furious Legacy #1: Curse of the Furies by Meadoe Hora

I've been living with my aunt and training to become a Fury like my missing mother, but punishing others for their sins isn't something I want to do. Hermes says Hades has given me my first case, but the boy named Cass doesn't seem to have anything to atone for. Did the assignment come from Hades, or am I being manipulated by another god? I'm now learning that a war among the gods is brewing, and Apollo is searching for a powerful, hidden artifact. I'm not sure how I fit into this mess, and I'm not sure who I can trust. My aunts have been lying to me about my mother, and the information about Cass isn't true either. I've found my father, who I've never met, but he's in the hospital with mental issues. The haze around his head tells me the problems aren't natural. I never wanted to learn Fury skills, but I now see I'll need them to help my father.

What I Liked:

The most intriguing twist to this book is having a Fury as the main character. The Furies are punishers sent by Hades to force others to atone for their crimes. Their methods could include threats, torture, or death, with the penalty dependent on the crime. Erin is being trained to become a Fury and is needed to replace her mother who has been missing since her birth. Erin doesn’t want to hurt others, so a conflict is immediately created.

Erin is given her first case, but readers should be suspicious. Erin is not supposed to tell her aunts about the mission, and it’s not clear the order came from Hades. The case becomes more complicated when she discovers her target is her twin brother, and their father is in the hospital. Coincidence? The questions continue, as the twins try to figure out what’s really going on and what it has to do with their father. A mysterious adventure ensues!

Animal characters are always fun to watch, and this book includes a black, abused dog that Erin finds in the park. She senses Max before she sees him, and Max sends clues to readers when unsavory characters show up. Animals seem to be good barometers when trying to determine the motivations of others. Max becomes a loyal companion but turns into a fierce defender when provoked.

What didn’t work as well:

Many books have been written about Greek mythology and young characters being thrown into the middle of a war between gods, so the plot is nothing new. Some readers may find this a turn-off, but using Furies as the protagonists is a novel and significant difference. Erin’s aunts love punishing others and are formidable allies. The intimidating aura of Furies and the secrecy behind Erin’s parents contribute to the uniqueness of the story. The questions surrounding which god is causing trouble add further surprises to the story.

The Final Verdict:

A page-turning adventure with Fury! The fast-paced action will engross readers, as a young Fury tries to survive her mother’s legacy. The mystery of her parents will be revealed, and a war between the gods may be on the brink of eruption. This book is a must-read for lovers of mythological heroes. It doesn’t have the humor of Rick Riordan's books, but it makes up for the difference in drama.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.