Thursday, September 2, 2021

Total Mayhem #1: Monday Into the Cave of Thieves by Ralph Lazar

My name is Dash, and it's annoying when mayhem strikes before I've had breakfast. The Wrestle-Scallywags attacked me in synchronized movements, but I was able to escape from their move #6694 and made it to school on time. However, the ninjalike warriors and Devil-Cat have stolen several objects from the building. I'm using my hidden tunnels and the warp-vortex to search for their hideout, but I'm sure lucky my KB-15 warns me of danger. It sure comes in handy when surrounded by the enemy. I still don't know who's the brains behind these thefts or why they want them. Why would anyone steal a trophy, a bottle of perfume, and orange juice? I know it can't be for any good reason, so it's up to me to be the hero. 

I received an ARC of this 
zany adventure- mystery. The main character and narrator is Dash, as he speaks directly to readers about his thoughts, plans, and feelings. He wields all kinds of amazing weapons and tools and finds time to skip most classes in order to do his heroic deeds. Because the story moves so quickly, the book leaves unanswered questions. Is Dash part of an organization, because the book never shares where he gets all of his gadgets. It seems unlikely that he invents them himself. He had faced the Wrestle-Scallywags 345 times before, but it isn’t clear why he was the one doing it. What is going on beyond the school? The book’s early pages notify readers of an Almanac found at the back that explains all of the unusual terms found in the story, and there are a lot of them. The story doesn’t provide context to decode strange terms, so the Almanac is very useful. The book is categorized with middle-grade books, but it’s more appropriate for elementary readers. The print size, story length, plot, and pictures are more comparable to the Captain Underpants series. It successfully creates a humorous adventure mystery that will be enjoyed by lovers of wacky villains and quirky heroes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.