Monday, August 31, 2020

The Tribe #2: The Disappearance of Ember Crow by Ambelin Kwaymullina

The Disappearance of Ember Crow (The Tribe #2)My name is Ashala, and I have a big question to answer. Should I search for my best friend Ember even though she says she doesn't need to be found? It's not safe for Illegals like us to walk among the humans, and her message said I might hate her for things she's done. I don't care. A stranger arrived a short while ago with more information about Ember. I don't know him but I trust him, and he's helped me learn some things about Ember's family. Connor will be furious if he finds out the identity of her brother! I want to rescue Ember and return before the start of the Resurrection. However, I didn't know at the time the importance of that event. All Illegals will be in terrible danger if I can't get back in time.

Details from the first book returned as I got into the story. Ash and the rest of the Tribe had abilities related to different animals, and the book opened with her living among wolves. Her boyfriend Connor was able to move air and could fly, while Ember had a connection to birds and an ability to change memories. The whole idea of Ember's terrible secrets added suspense and anticipation to the plot. It was unclear how Ash would respond when she found out, so it was impossible to predict where the story would go. The discrimination and prejudice against Illegals were at core of the conflict, and the origin of these feelings was revealed. Humans' thoughts and feelings were manipulated, and the consequences were still being felt. Some leaders fed the fears of citizens in order to achieve their own private agendas. Readers might notice some similarities to the real world. The main characters were portrayed in their upper teens, and there were moments where mature emotions were shared. There wasn't anything inappropriate, but the book's not for younger readers. Overall, I'm enjoying the series and plan to read the sequel, The Foretelling of Georgie Spider.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.