Friday, August 7, 2020

Dragon Slayers' Academy #1: The New Kid at School by Kate McMullan


The New Kid at School (Dragon Slayers' Academy, #1)My name is Wiglaf, and a traveling minstrel says I'm destined to become a hero. I can't imagine how that will come true when I'm the smallest son in a family of thirteen boys. I don't suppose being a great dishwasher or pig slopper will help much when slaying dragons. Then, my life changed when we visited a festival going on in the town. I saw a sign posted inviting families to send their sons to the Dragon Slayers' Academy, but it'll cost seven pennies to attend. My parents can't afford that much money, but maybe the school will let me pay them using the gold I find after killing dragons. I suppose my dislike for blood and hurting living creatures may be a problem.

This book was a very quick read, as I completed it in about thirty minutes while exercising on the elliptical machine. The story is humorous, as you might imagine, with a great deal of funny situations and personalities. It's not a far stretch of the imagination to recognize the headmaster at the school is only in it for the money. Even though Wiglaf is impressed by his one-day education, he's hardly prepared for his first quest into danger. He's accompanied by another character who ends up sharing an important secret. Due to the book's shortness, there's little time to develop characters, so it feels like an appetizer. The whole series could have become a nice novel if the different books were combined to create chapters. Nevertheless, the book is an amusing tale, and it's worth your attention if you have a little time to spare. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.