Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Enchanted Forest Chronicles #2: Searching for Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede

Searching for Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #2)My name is King Mendenbar, although I find most of the royal rituals stuffy and boring. It appears a dragon has burned away part of the Enchanted Forest and sucked away the magic in that area, but the Dragon King's cook/librarian (don't tell anyone that Cimorene is really a princess) says the scales I found are from a traitorous dragon who was turned into a toad. She also informed me the Dragon King is missing, so I'm accompanying her during her search through the Enchanted Forest. It wouldn't look good if she died in the forest I rule. It's looking more and more like the Council of Wizards is trying to start a war between the dragons and myself, but I can't figure out why. Cimorene and I have been joined by a magician who knows quite a bit about spells, but even he is confused by the magic going on here. The power emanating from my sword may attract wizards from all over, but it may also be the key to stopping their plans.

Although this book is the second in the series, I have not read the first one yet and didn't find it to be a problem. Cimorene's character reminds me of Dragon Slippers, as both princesses are annoyed by the thought of being rescued from dragons by princes. She adds her own wisdom and abilities in helping Mendenbar. The plot is fast-paced and adds in some mystery and humor to make it very entertaining. The author includes references to familiar fairy tales, but it's not done in a cutesy, distracting way. For example, Rumpelstiltskin is depressed due to his curse of spinning gold and taking first-born children from royalty, but Mendenbar thinks of a way to solve the problem by opening a boarding school. Soapy water with a bit of lemon is a great weapon in fighting wizards. As I read what I've just typed, don't get the impression this book is just a silly, goofy story. Most of the book tells the tale of an exciting adventure, and I recommend you give the series a shot. It's a fun story!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.