Wednesday, August 25, 2021

The Imaginary Veterinarian #1: The Sasquatch Escape by Suzanne Selfors

My name is Ben, and my parents forced me to spend the summer with my grandfather while they "work through some things." Buttonville was a very boring town, but I found something that changed my mind. My grandfather's cat caught a baby dragon! It had a damaged wing and a puncture wound from the cat's teeth, so I took it to the abandoned button factory. I noticed the guy helping the worm doctor had a recipe for artificial dragon's milk, so I thought his boss, Dr. Woo, might be able to help. I was glad Pearl came with me because the factory was awfully spooky. However, I made a big mistake that changed everything. I thought the front door was closed enough, but I was wrong. The next thing we knew, an alarm was going off announcing Sasquatch had left the building!


This book tells a cute story that can be read quickly. The chapters are very short, usually too short. The story moves along quickly and creates a humorous adventure. It's surprising how the kids can find a baby dragon, but it's not even the focus of the plot. Ben and Pearl are tasked with retrieving the sasquatch, although they are given a kit to help them out. The short book means there's no time to fully develop characters, but Pearl being a troublemaker is repeatedly hammered home. A girl finding ways to entertain herself in a boring, small town is a better description though. Dr. Woo doesn't make an appearance until the book's resolution, but her assistant Mr. Tabby is clearly not human. He talks about the Imaginary and Real worlds, not very creative names, but the book doesn't provide much detail about what's really going on. Why are imaginary creatures here, and how do they go between worlds? This book is for upper elementary or young middle-grade readers, as it presents a simple, funny adventure. Give it a shot if you're looking for a quick read about a sasquatch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.