Thursday, January 7, 2021

The Gatekeeper of Pericael by Hayley Reese Chow

My name is Porter, and I wish I could spend my time playing soccer instead learning to become the Kotalla kan protecting the Universe Gate. I know it's important to separate our world from Pericael, but there's no way I can remember all of the runes needed to create the necessary spells. My mom can't keep doing the job forever, but why can't my sister take over? And today, I probably shouldn't have answered the knock on the portal door, but how was I to know Mimoosh would need my help protecting his village from Raspurn? He's growing stronger by absorbing souls from the people in Pericael, but he really wants to get his hands on my Tok. With its powers, he'll be able to enslave everyone on both sides of the Universal Gate. 


This book is scheduled to be released in the Spring of 2021, and I recommend you give it a shot when it comes out. Porter is a wonderful character, as he possesses great power and abilities while lacking the motivation and confidence needed to be the Kotalla kan. He wants to join a travel soccer team and live as a "normal" kid, but someone from his family has always guarded the Gate. His cousin Ames is in stark contrast, as he finds the whole experience exciting and compares it to Star Wars movies. I don't remember many Star Wars movies being set in the jungle. In addition, Porter and Ames are joined by two sisters who are training to become shaman, but they each have their own issues to complicate matters. The magic in the book comes from spirits, and as the book says they do most of the heavy lifting. Porter must ask them to share their power, but a connection is formed when this happens. Porter has a constant fear that at some point the spirits will take control of his mind. This possibility is reinforced throughout the plot, so it's a lingering internal conflict for Porter. You'll love this book if you're into magic, spirits, and young mages learning to harness their powers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.