Monday, January 25, 2021

Nevermoor #3: Hollowpox: The Hunt for Morrigan Crow by Jessica Townsend

My name is Morrigan, and a virus started infecting the Wunimals in Nevermoor. I experienced the transformation in behavior several times, and luckily, I survived the vicious attacks. However, the Wunimals finally collapsed and fell into hollow comas. They're not just unconscious, there's no evidence of life inside them. The citizens of Nevermoor will panic if they learn of this virus possibly affecting Wunimals walking among them. A good thing happening at school is I started learning the Wondrous Arts from teachers who can't see me or speak to me, and I have no way to interact with them. Maybe I'll learn something useful that will make everyone stop fearing me as a Wundersmith, and they'll stop comparing me to Ezra Squall. 


You should read the previous two books in the series before reading this one. The Wunimals are sentient, talking animals, although many humans still have a hard time accepting them. At one time, humans kept Wunimals as pets, so it reminds me of people not accepting the rights of slaves after slavery was abolished. Morrigan's lessons are creative, as she visits lessons from the past by stepping through time. No one living, aside from Ezra Squalls, knows how to practice the Wondrous Arts, so Morrigan is forced to learn by stepping through time to watch Wundersmiths from the past. Of course, Ezra Squalls killed all the others but know wants to mentor Morrigan. This conflict has been going on since the series began, but it gets more complicated in this book. I don't like how Morrigan's lessons are separating her from her friends, and she tends to do things on her own. The Deucalion Hotel where Morrigan lives offers an amusing addition to the story. It has its own personality and moods, and it does strange things when it gets upset. This book gets into the politics of feuding governments, and Morrigan learns it's complicated. She also learns the republic's leaders don't always have her best interests at heart. Overall, this is an entertaining series that begins with The Trials of Morrigan Crow, the 2018 Cybils Award winner in Elementary/Middle Grade Speculative Fiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.