Thursday, January 21, 2021

Explorer Academy #1: The Nebula Secret by Trudi Trueit

My name is Cruz, and I've arrived in Washington to attend the Explorer Academy, the place where my mom died when I was little. Along with the other twenty-three recruits from around the world, we'll be the next generation of explorers to conserve and protect the planet. However, a group called Nebula seems intent on killing me if I don't leave the academy. Don't believe me? Remember the guy who tried to kill me back in Hawaii, or the scarred guy who threatened me on my first day here, or the gas that almost poisoned my friends and me? I've always dreamed of traveling the world on conservation missions, but why would anyone want to stop me? It must have something to do with my mom's secret research. I don't know anything about it, but I've learned that she left a journal for me. I know it will answer all of my questions if I can only decipher the clues to find it.

I randomly found this book in my library's directory, and this science fiction novel was a nice change from some other books I've read recently. The story of a young boy being accepted to a select academy isn't unusual, and there seems to be an unknown reason why Nebula has targeted him. To appreciate this book, you should enjoy science and puzzle solving, as the plot requires an understanding of both. It includes all kinds of impossible things including Cruz's voice-activated drone bee that he uses for protection and surveillance, and the mood-sensitive glasses created from the mind of his roommate, Emmet. The team of characters learns to get along, and Dugan presents a challenge in that area. He feels Cruz is getting help from his aunt, a member of the faculty. The author does a good job of developing uncertainty about the antagonists, as Cruz isn't sure which characters deserve his confidence. At least one person at the academy seems to be working to undermine Cruz. Overall, I really liked this book and have already started reading the sequel, The Falcon's Feather. I know this series won't be for everyone, but lovers of science, conservation, and mystery will enjoy it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.