Saturday, September 15, 2018

The Grimm Legacy #3: The Poe Estate by Polly Shulman

The Poe Estate (The Grimm Legacy, #3)My name is Sukie, and I have an overly protective ghost sister named Kitty. Her presence creeps out the other kids, and she seems to be getting stronger and angrier. I’ve met some strange people recently at flea markets. One guy offered me a lot of money for an old broom and a brass doorknob, but I didn’t trust him. I met a couple of other people from a repository, and they’ve opened my eyes to fictional reality. They collect real things that now exist because they were described in books! The repository even has an exhibit of old haunted houses, and they want my aunt's home! I saw another ghost in my bedroom that wants me to find her treasure, but I don't know what she's talking about. It may have something to do with a pirate in my family's history. 

This book is part of a series, but it’s totally different from the second book. That one involved time travel, whereas this one is about ghosts and hauntings. The repository is the connection between them, but the main characters are not the same. Leo was the focus in book two but only makes a cameo appearance near the climax. The repository contains artifacts arising from literature and creates a myriad of possibilities. Basically, any objects ever described in writing can become reality. This book goes a step further and presents the prospect of fictional characters becoming real. Sukie feels like an outsider, as her classmates treat her like a freak. There's lots of teasing until a boy named Cole takes an interest, and it turns out they have a special connection. A part of the plot I didn't like included the mention and description of numerous arcane books. These titles were unfamiliar and unimportant and distracted my mind from important events and information in the story. Overall, I enjoyed the book, and I'm trying to get my hands on the first book in the series, The Grimm Legacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.