Friday, June 22, 2018

Shadow Weaver #1 by MarcyKate Connolly

Shadow Weaver (Shadow Weaver, #1)My name is Emmeline, and I've been blessed with an ability to control shadows. As a matter of fact, my best friend is my own shadow named Dar. She gives me advice, plays with me, and is my favorite companion. However, my parents are becoming concerned and frightened, and they want me sent away to be "cured". Dar said she wouldn't let that happen, and the next morning a man was found in a coma. Now, we're on the run, staying with Lucas and his family in the forest. Lucas has light magic and can control it with his songs. Dar isn't happy about our situation and only wants me to complete a ritual that will bring her back to life. I can't shake my unease that she's keeping things from me, and Lucas's family has secrets too. I fear these unknowns will come together and explode into one unbelievable disaster.

The author was able to weave a wonderful adventure surrounding a nice, but mischievous, young girl. Emmeline enjoyed her life but became very upset when others threatened to take away her best friend Dar. I imagine most of us would have the same feelings. Dar was by far the most interesting character. She clearly had a hidden agenda, and Emmeline was correct to question her. However, their inseparable relationship kept Emmeline from seriously doubting Dar's intentions. She always took Dar's side despite any troubling evidence. In contrast, Lucas's family showed Emmeline nothing but trust and kindness, so this created a big internal conflict for her. The family's secret inserted an unexpected conflict into the plot. They were so supportive and open with Emmeline that it made me wonder what they could possibly be hiding. Clearly, it had something to do with Lucas's ability and his safety, but I didn't fully expect the truth. In looking back, I probably should have seen it coming. I enjoyed the second half of the book more than the first part, and it should appeal to many speculative fiction lovers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.