Friday, June 15, 2018

BOB by Wendy Mass & Rebecca Stead

BobMy name is Bob, and Livy said she’d be right back to let me out of the closet. I think I’ve been pretty patient considering it's been five years now! I thought I was a zombie in a chicken outfit, but Livy says I’m not really dead. I guess I must agree, but we still don’t know what I am or where I come from. I remember I was in the chicken coop when Livy first saved me, and she was soaking wet. Actually, Livy thinks she might have fallen into the well first, and then I rescued her. I’m sorry Livy’s grandmother might lose her home because of the severe drought, but I just want to go home. I’ll miss the black licorice and cookies. 

This book was a quick read and told a cute story of friendship. The beginning of the book was unusual, since Livy remembered very little about her previous visit to Australia. She didn’t even recall Bob’s name but quickly agreed to help him. Her memory came back in pieces, but she couldn't understand why she’d then forget Bob even existed. This situation added a creative element to the story, as Livy’s memories came and went. Bob’s character was humorous, as he considered himself a not-zombie and described his five years living in a small, bedroom closet. How many things can you create in five years with a bunch of Lego blocks? Early in the plot, it was clear to me the drought had something to do with Bob's existence, and Grandma’s well was an important part of the setting. All issues were taken care of in the end, and I appreciated how the author resolved the relationship between Livy and Bob. Overall, this book told an emotional, fun story without any complicated twists. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.