Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Jerry's Madness by W.W. Rowe

Jerry's MadnessMy name is Jerry, and I have The Look. I can make people do things by staring into their eyes, although my mom might disagree. I wish I could stop myself from feeling so angry, but Wilcox is helping. Some people think he's just a crazy old man living by the dump, but he has magical powers. It's going to take something strong to keep me from exploding on the school bullies. They're making fun of Suzie, my girlfriend, and Monty can't help it when he lisps. Also, I'm still a little worried about the bald man who tried to kidnap me. He knocked me out and tied me up, but I used The Look on him and sent him walking south for the next three weeks. Or did I? A man came by the next day saying he was the guy's twin brother, and he said this brother needs mental help. Wilcox says they're the same person, but that can't be. Right?!


This book is pretty spiritual, especially considering the plot is fairly straight-forward. This homeless man, Wilcox, is like Jerry's guru or life coach, as he provides advice and guidance. He talks about karma, staying true, and listening to his inner self. They meditate together. It might provide a tool for kids to deal with their own anger and other emotions. However, I question whether kids at this age will appreciate it. I'm impressed with Jerry's character, as he stands up for poor Monty and finds ways to handle the bullies. He's human, because he feels anger, embarrassment, and has the urge to lie. Wilcox helps Jerry reflect on his decisions to determine if they're pure; he must always try to stay true to his inner self and keep a positive karma. Too heavy? I'm amazed at Jerry's ability to stay positive amid negative surroundings and his sense of right and wrong. Anyhow, the books are easy to read, and they're all under 100 pages in length. Give it a shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.