Monday, September 27, 2010

Z. Rex by Steve Cole

This is the first book in a new series, "The Hunting", and I gave it a rating of four out of five. I'm not sure how to explain the book without it sounding too goofy or outrageous, but I did enjoy it. A virtual reality programmer disappears, and his son, Adam, is left alone in New Mexico. The next thing he knows, some men arrive to kidnap him, but he is saved by...a Z-rex dinosaur. The dinosaur was created through a mixture of cloning, accelerated regeneration, and virtual programming. You can read about the dinosaur's abilities on your own. Adam and the dinosaur must work together to rescue "their father" and stop the scientists who are trying to create a dinosaur army. Z-rex battles his own evil clone in the climax.

As I was reading the book, I was thinking about the strange and bizarre plot. I like my fantasy books, but this intelligent, super dinosaur just seemed weird. After getting over my initial reaction, I just took the plot as a means for entertainment and read for enjoyment. Don't over-analyze the plot and conflict, and you may agree that it's a creative idea for a story. I'm not sure about making it into a series, but I am curious as to what the sequel may have in store.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.