Friday, November 5, 2021

Supernatural Investigations #1: Amari and the Night Brothers by B.B. Alston

My name is Amari, and I didn't know what I was going to do when I lost my scholarship to the academy. Then, a message from my missing brother arrived, and I found myself accepted to the Bureau of Supernatural Affairs. However during the opening ceremony, I was given the rare moonstone badge, and I nearly destroyed the Crystal Ball when it announced I was an illegal magician! Everyone says humans aren't meant to have so much magic, and apparently, I have more than anyone ever. Chief Crowe is letting me stay, for now, and I've been accepted as a trainee for Supernatural Investigations. It's what my brother did before he disappeared, as he became a hero among the supernaturals. I'll do all I can to rescue my brother from wherever he's being held even if everyone at the Bureau either hates or fears me. I just hope my magic doesn't make me evil like they all expect.


The book has similar qualities to other successful middle-grade series. Amari has unmatched powers that others have never seen before, but she could potentially be seduced into becoming evil. She has few friends at the Bureau and is scorned by most of the people due to fears of what she might become. Add to this, Amari has been demeaned for years due to her upbringing in the poor, seedy part of town. Her skin color makes her a target for ridicule. All of these factors make the book a fantastic underdog story. The Crystal Ball enhances the strongest talent of each trainee, so the characters might be described as personalized superheroes. Amari's roommate is a weredragon, and her creativity is enhanced to make her a super inventor. Amari's complication is the fact that magic is illegal in humans, so she's not allowed to develop her special talent. She gets help from an anonymous magician to learn some basic spells. The author includes hidden secrets, as Amari strives to find her brother while struggling to survive the training to become a Bureau Investigator. The story deftly utilizes misdirection to create a surprising climax. Actually, it won't shock readers who are able to notice clues from early in the book. Overall, I really enjoyed this book and highly recommend you give it a shot. I'm looking forward to the sequel, Amari and the Great Game.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.