Saturday, November 24, 2018

A Greenglass House Story: Bluecrowne by Kate Milford

BluecrowneMy name is Lucy, and I'm pretty upset that my father is forcing me to live ashore in a huge house. I miss helping the crew aboard my father's ship, as we sailed across the seas. However, my half-brother Liao is excited, and he even has his own shed where he can practice making rockets and other explosives. He has a natural talent for pyrotechnics, and it's attracted the interest of two strangers. One man has promised to teach Liao more about his skill, but the other one said something about time that seemed strange. I've tried to distract myself by repairing my new, small sailboat, and Liao likes the spot on it where he can fire his new rockets. Little did I know the strangers had treacherous plans for my little brother, nor did I have any idea of my stepmother's true identity.

I'm not totally sure how this book fits in with other Greenglass House stories, but I was still able to enjoy it. I must admit I felt some early uncertainty about the novel-specific vocabulary, as the author needed to come up with words and descriptions for impossible ideas. It wasn't enough to confuse the story. The plot was told from two points of view that focused on Lucy and the strangers. One stranger was an expert in time travel, and he was hired by a ruthless, unforgiving boss. His partner was an expert with pyrotechnics. I don't always enjoy multiple points of view, but both accounts in this book meshed well and enhanced the descriptions. I felt like I was missing something regarding events happening prior to this book, so I plan to read The Left-Handed Fate. I think it precedes Bluecrowne, although I'm still not sure if there's a specific order to the author's books. Regardless, I enjoyed Bluecrowne and recommend you give it a shot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.