Saturday, July 28, 2018

School for S.P.I.E.S. #3: Ends of the Earth by Bruce Hale

Ends of the Earth (School for S.P.I.E.S., #3)My name is Max, and it’s really hard being a double-agent, especially trying to hide my plans from Mrs. Frost, the head of LOTUS. I want to escape the headquarters of this evil organization, but Frost says she wants to adopt me!? I'm sure it's just a ploy to capture my dad, but I don't know if I can trust him. I mean, he used to work for LOTUS and tried to get me to turn on my friends. LOTUS has now stolen a mind-controlling device, but I need to find out what they're going to do with it. I need to get into Frost's office, but there are cameras everywhere. They even have vicious dogs and a tiger patrolling the grounds. The only way into the office is by sneaking through a bathroom adjoining the room. That bathroom happens to be Vespa's, a beautiful blond who's already stabbed me in the back once before.

It had been a few years since I’d read the previous books in the series, and I recommend you read them first. This conclusion of the trilogy was told from alternating points of view, since Max was captive and his friends were outside planning for his rescue. Max's situation was a little wacky, since he was kind of treated like a new LOTUS agent while being held captive. He wasn't allowed to leave the fortress on his own, but he was allowed to participate in a kidnapping. Wyatt was my second favorite character. He was a technology whiz and loved breaking codes and hacking computer systems. However, he didn't enjoy doing the other spy stuff like fighting and anything else athletic. Cinnabar was another of Max's friends who didn't have the same reservations about combat. She was determined to rescue Max and was able to adapt during tense situations. The author mixed adventure and action with a bit of humor. Max's friends contributed friendly banter with each other, while Max enjoyed messing with the LOTUS agents. He knew how to push their buttons and liked to push his limits. Overall, this was an entertaining series, and I think you should give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.