Friday, March 2, 2018

The Father of Lies Chronicles #3: Arthur Quinn and Hell's Keeper by Alan Early

Arthur Quinn and Hell's KeeperMy name is Arthur, and Loki has finally succeeded in killing me, kind of. The good thing is that I'm still alive on Earth, but the bad thing is history has changed and no one remembers me. Dublin is totally underwater, and the area is patrolled by Loki's army of wolves. I was captured and thrown into a prison camp full of other human refugees. I managed to escape and discovered a group of rebels led by my best friend Ash; except she doesn't know who I am and isn't willing to fully trust me. I showed her my pendant and Thor's hammer to support my story, but things didn't change until she was able to share one of my visions. She now knows we must stop Loki, or everyone and everything on Earth will be erased from existence.

I suggest you read the first two books in the trilogy before reading this one. There are recurring characters with background stories that you'll miss out on, and this plot picks up where the last book left off. For example, the World Serpent returns and Fenris's daughter is now the general of Loki's army. Arthur is still a brave young boy, although he lost an eye in book two. This handicap becomes an asset, as his remaining eye now allows him to see hidden truths. The book seems to have more action than the previous ones, as Arthur spends much of his time running from Loki's army of wolves. The setting with all of Dublin, Ireland covered in water is creative and causes the characters to move around on jet skis and boats. The plot twist with all characters forgetting Arthur adds additional suspense, since he doesn't know if anyone will be able to help stop Loki. Even though Loki doesn't see how it's possible, he's still open to the possibility of Arthur's reappearance and has some tricks up his sleeve. This book concludes the trilogy, but the author has left open a chance that Loki might return someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.