Tuesday, March 20, 2018

The Alchemist's Apprentice by Kate Thompson

The Alchemist’s ApprenticeMy name is Jack, and I made a big mistake that means I can never return to my role as a blacksmith's apprentice. I later found a sealed pot floating in the river that was created by an alchemist, Mr. Barnstable. I accepted his offer to become his apprentice, and my life became an adventure. Barnstable sent me off to find my prima materia, a stone that is the most important ingredient in alchemy. I wandered across the country, learning to steal for my survival. Finally, events led me to a life of wealth that did not bring me happiness. No one cares about me, and I’ve been used by others all along. I’m now convinced the mercury fumes have gotten to Barnstable’s brain, and he’s delusional. I don’t know what to do.

This book is not at all what I expected. Once Jack leaves on his quest for the prima materia, alchemy takes a backseat in the plot. The story becomes a tale of self-awareness and contentment. Jack finds various characters who help him along the way, but he seems to be searching for his place in the world. Finding a lost horse lifts him out of a life of poverty and changes his life dramatically. However, he continues to search for happiness. You will be disappointed if you’re looking for a story full of spells and magic normally associated with books concerning alchemy. This book is more philosophical and explores the growth of Jack’s spirit. It may be a little deeper than middle graders expect, but it can be enjoyed by more mature readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.