Tuesday, April 25, 2017

In Over Their Heads by Margaret Peterson Haddix

In Over Their Heads (Under Their Skin #2)My name is Ava, and I've been raised as a young girl, not a teenage robot. My brother Jackson, my human stepbrother Nick and stepsister Eryn, and I have discovered shocking secrets hidden in Mammoth Cave. Nick and Eryn found papers directing humans to kill all robots, and then we found a cave full of cribs with young robot children in them. However, a young girl living in the cave found us, and we're not sure if she can be trusted. She's been helpful, but she becomes very defensive when we ask about her family or home. She's warned us about an approaching blizzard but then ran out of the cave; we fear she's going to kill our parents. I know it's just a matter of time before robot society discovers my illegal existence, and then my brother and I will be killed. But, is another war between robots and humans looming?

This book is the sequel to Under Their Skin, which you need to read first. There are only two books in the series, so go for it! The first half of this book took a little too long to get to the point, but the second half was very gripping. I don't think my first paragraph effectively communicates the suspense of the plot. The antagonists weren't clear, since the humans and robots each displayed a history of violence toward the other. The book addresses a fear that technology might become so advanced that it will threaten human existence. Will robots become too intelligent and powerful to be stopped? I don't generally like stories that are told from multiple points of view, but it works in this book. The setting doesn't jump around much, so the plot is easy to follow. Actually, using different points of view was a good choice, since the characters had such different feelings about the situation. Eryn became frightened and had some extreme views, while her brother was more understanding. Jackson's situation was totally different from everyone else. Good job!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.