Monday, April 24, 2017

Danny's Inferno #2: Down in Flames by P.W. Catanese

Down in Flames (Donny's Inferno #2)My name is Danny, and I am a mortal human now living in Sulfur (a place you might know as Hell) serving a demon named Angela. She led the reform that stopped the tormenting of souls for eternity in the Pit of Fire, but some creatures still want a return to tradition. The king of the ferryman spoke to the council and said there are souls being taken in the mortal world instead being delivered to Sulfur. He also said he may start his own revolution back to the old ways if the persons responsible are not stopped. Angela eagerly accepted the challenge, but we have no idea how dangerous it might be. She has a habit of overlooking the dangers I face when I help her, but I always thought she had my best interests at heart. However, I overheard her telling someone that she doesn't care if I live or die; she'll just find another mortal to replace me. I'm crushed. I may have a way to leave her, but is it the right thing to do? And will she allow it without killing me?

You should read Donny's Inferno first. It explains all of the background knowledge you need to understand Down in Flames. The premise underlying the series is unusual. Who would ever think demons in the underworld might have a moral problem with forcing damned souls into a burning pit of fire for eternity? Angela believes souls should have a chance for redemption with the possibility of eventually finding eternal rest. Donny's character is obviously in a bizarre situation. A human teenager living among demons in the underworld? The conversation he overheard with Angela added a whole new dimension to the plot and became a major problem for him. He wants to please Angela, but he has mortal fears and thinks he's being taken for granted. I felt like the mystery of the missing souls took a backseat to Donny's issues until he resolved them. I was fine with that. Angela is a great character, because she has great power and can become a terrifying creature but seems naive about the mortal world. She can act like a mother to Donny then immediately strike terror into everyone around her. Overall, I'm enjoying the series very much, and recommend it to readers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.