Friday, December 16, 2016

The Kronos Chronicles #1: The Cabinet of Wonders by Marie Rutkoski

The Cabinet of Wonders (The Kronos Chronicles, #1)My name is Petra, and the prince has cut my father's eyes right out of his face! My father had an ability to see the magic within metals, and he created an amazing new clock for the prince that can potentially control the weather. I'm not sure why the prince took my father's eyes, but I've decided I'm going to sneak into the prince's castle and steal them back. I've managed to get a job inside the castle, and I've now been assigned to work for an old woman with acid skin. This has allowed me to sneak around the castle, but I just ran into a strange man from England. He said he's a spy, and my quest to retrieve my father's eyes is more important than I ever imagined. Europe may be ravaged by war if I fail!

The plot of this book was surprisingly engaging. The author was able to spin a descriptive tale that made me want to keep the book in my hands. I'm trying to figure out how she did it, although I'm not losing any sleep! The idea of having a father's eyes stolen was creative, but the creativity didn't knock my socks off. I think it was Petra's character that sucked me in. She loved her father immensely and just wanted to get his eyes back. She mostly worked alone, although she received help from a gypsy boy. The complications arising from the spy, the looming war, and the ruthlessness of the prince made her quest even more dangerous and important. Although Petra survives this book, the series is far from over.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.