Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Artemis Fowl #5: The Lost Colony by Eoin Colfer

The Lost Colony (Artemis Fowl, #5)My name is Holly Short, and once again it's up to Artemis and I to save the world of fairies. Even though I recently quit my position as captain in the LEPrecon, I've reunited with friends now running a super-secret fairy squad. We've discovered portals are quickly opening and closing around the world leading to a land of demons, at different moments in time. A demon recently appeared but was captured by another teen genius. She wants to win a Nobel prize, but she's not aware the demon island of Hybras will soon be destroyed. Artemis figured out the portals are deteriorating which will wipe Hybras from existence, killing almost all of the demons. Now, we've been captured, and I only hope the boy genius has another plan to get us out of this predicament.


I'm enjoying all of the books in the series, although this one left me wanting something more. I can't exactly put my finger on it, but it seemed like some of Artemis's plans were dependent on chance. That's never been the case in the past. Also, Butler and Mulch Diggums had very minor roles in the plot. I've liked their back-and-forth banter with one another, and Mulch especially added humor to the stories. That was missing in this book. However, I've always appreciated Artemis's careful planning and how he's been able to anticipate future events. It may have seemed like things were getting out of control, but then I realized he had everything under control. This book introduced the effects of puberty on Artemis's character, as he found it a curious nuisance. It affected his logic. The series has been very entertaining, and I recommend it for all!

1 comment:

  1. This is actually the last one I read, and I'm still not sure if I will finish the series or not. Like you said, it was just lacking in something the previous books had.

    ReplyDelete

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.