Thursday, August 4, 2016

Trelian #1: The Dragon of Trelian by Michelle Knudsen

The Dragon of Trelian (Trelian, #1)My name is Princess Meglynne, and I am dragon-linked. Our lives and minds are joined, but if one of  us dies, the other will too. Calen, the mage's apprentice, has been helping me keep the secret and is teaching me about them too. However, there are serious problems brewing in the kingdom. Huge, mysterious creatures are lurking in the forest, and one of them actually attacked me outside the castle walls! Calen and I accidentally overheard a plot to kill my sister and bring about a war with a neighboring kingdom. Unfortunately, we were discovered in our hiding place, and worse yet, the woman who found us is an unmarked mage wanting to start the war. Being unmarked is unheard of, and she has dangerous power. Calen and I have now awakened in a strange forest, and it seems to be far from home. How did we get here, and more importantly, how do we get home and save my sister?


Meg and Calen were a dynamic pair of characters, as they helped each other develop their abilities. Calen researched the connection with dragons and helped Meg understand how to control it. Meg and the dragon communicated with feelings, not specific ideas, and their emotions confused each other and caused them to overreact. Calen didn't take his mage training seriously until he displayed some unusual abilities. With Meg's support, he started to try different spells as survival skills. Perhaps we all have hidden talents that can be developed by trusting ourselves. Calen's master seemed to be a stern, serious character, but a sense of caring for Calen could be detected. The female mage was an unpredictable character, since her entire existence went against all the rules of the Magistratum, the society of mages that controlled their actions. I've already gotten my hands on the sequel to this book and started reading it today!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.