Sunday, June 12, 2016

Under Their Skin #1 by Margaret Peterson Haddix

Under Their Skin (Under Their Skin, #1)My name is Eryn, and my brother and I are not allowed to meet our stepsiblings! Isn't that unbelievable? Our mom says it's because we're so different, and Nick and I have now found out she wasn't exaggerating. It started with a snow day. Okay, so Mom never said we weren't supposed to pick the locks on the bedroom doors down the hall, so technically we didn't disobey her. We figured out where our stepsiblings live and decided to check them out! Now, our lives have been turned upside down. I don't know if I can handle the truth about Jackson and Ava. About Mom. About ourselves and everything else! What happened to everyone? How can anyone in their right mind expect two sixth graders to save the future of the entire human species? 


I'll try not to give away the secret in the whole plot. I think I'm looking forward to the next book more than this one, as the author ends things with dramatic reveal. Haddix always writes good stuff, and she lets readers know right away that something is not right about the stepkids. Once Eryn and Nick figure out what's going on, things get real interesting! The problem blows up way beyond their little town. I enjoy looking for clues, and the book reads kind of like a mystery. However, I wasn't ready for the truth about the world that was revealed near the end of the book. I never read I Robot, but my impressions of it seem similar to Under Their Skin. Once again, Man's advancements in science and technology may ultimately result in the end of civilization! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.