Thursday, July 14, 2016

Voyagers #1: Project Alpha by D.J. MacHale

Project Alpha (Voyagers, #1)
My name is Dash. Earth must discover a new energy source, because all fossil fuels will soon be gone. I was chosen to lead a crew of other kids to planet J-16 where we'll return with the Source, a new form of energy. Mr. Phillips told me that I might die during the trip, but I suspect there are even worse things he's still not saying. Why would our training include holograms of dinosaurs and giant snow creatures? My questions are answered once we arrive at the planet, and we are informed the mission is much more difficult than we were first told. The Souce comes from something biological, if you know what I mean, and the scientists' information about the planet is missing some facts. However, failure is not an option.


I'm not sure why I enjoy this book so much. It's not super creative, as the plot is similar to other books on space travel. It can be easily read by middle grade students, and the events aren't overly complicated. It's the original "Star Trek" in a book! However, I really like the blend of characters, and the conflict is interesting. Dash has leadership qualities, Gabriel is the thinker and pilot, Carly is the science expert, and Piper zooms around in her wheelchair to take care of their health. The author seems to have ideas up,his sleeve, and he tosses in surprises to complicate the mission. And, the characters aren't aware yet of a subplot going on. I assume the plots will come together in a future book, but I'm not sure if it will be in the sequel. There is a website that goes along with the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.