Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Artemis Fowl #3: The Eternity Code by Eoin Colfer

The Eternity Code (Artemis Fowl, #3)My name is Artemis Fowl. I've been running my father's criminal enterprise while he's been in a coma, and I've been as despicable as ever. I just created a cube (using some fairy technology that I "borrowed") that makes all other technology useless. I lost my edge while trying to extort money from Spiro, and he stole it from me. I must get the cube back or Spiro will use it to control the world, and I have no doubt he will soon discover the underground fairy world too. I cannot let that happen! My faithful bodyguard is unable to assist me, so I must get help from somewhere to penetrate Spiro's high-tech security in a Chicago skyscraper. Once again, I must team up with a fairy, dwarf, and centaur from the underground magical world. 


You probably need to read the first book in the series before reading this one, or you'll be missing out on some of the references to past events. Artemis is a young genius, so it's fun to see him outsmart adults, although the events in the restaurant were out of character for him. His team is an unusual collection of characters with very different personalities. Holly is a strict fairy police officer who feels indebted to Artemis, kind of. The centaur is a techno-wiz who follows orders, kind of. The dwarf is pretty crude, but that's understandable for a criminal wanted by the fairies. The interaction between the characters, minor spats and teasing included, make the plot entertaining. Artemis also goes through an internal conflict, as his father awakens from a coma and a change in priorities. Does Artemis have the courage to be a true hero?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.