Thursday, March 31, 2016

Out of Abaton: The Wooden Prince by John Claude Bemis

The Wooden Prince (Out of Abaton, #1)My name is Pinnochio. I am an automa, like a robot, and I've been sent to replace the son of the ruler's former alchemist, Geppetto. My new master is wanted as a traitor, and I just discovered he's been locked up in the same prison as Prester John, ruler of Abaton and my creator. I've managed to escape with help from some new friends, but something is happening to me. I'm feeling emotions, and my hands are losing their woody texture. I seem to be slowly turning into a real human boy! I must free Prester John and Geppetto before their captors reach Abaton. The land of magic may fall if I can't figure out a way to succeed.


Bravo to the author for a weaving a creative tale based on the story of Pinnochio. It doesn't read like a fairy tale at all. Pinnochio is a wonderful character, as he changes back and forth between being an automa and a human boy. He's a good, honest character, and that allows him to easily make friends (except for Cinnabar). It is exciting to see him transform from a simple robot into a natural leader, and saving his "father" is the most important thing on his mind. Captain Toro reminds me of an arch-villain in a superhero movie. He continually popped up to stop Pinnochio, only to be outsmarted by the automa. The book comes to a satisfying conclusion and leaves the door wide open for a sequel. It will be interesting to see how Pinnochio adapts to being a real leader of people.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.