Wednesday, December 16, 2020

The Trials of Apollo #5: The Tower or Nero by Rick Riordan

I am the god Apollo, although most people these past few months know me as Lester, a weak, acne-ravaged teenager. Meg and I are headed to New York City where we'll face Nero, Meg's evil, minor-god stepfather. He'll destroy the city if we don't show up, but it will also probably lead to my death and the return of Meg's abusive relationship with Nero. It would be nice if my godly powers came back (You hear me dad?), but Zeus isn't done punishing me. We need to find some way to weaken the immortal Nero, but he's gotten even stronger with the death of his partners in the Triumverate. Then there's Python lurking deep underground. He's slowly taking control of the oracles, so I'll need to sacrifice my life again after defeating Nero. I don't suppose I can actually die twice, right?

This book concluded the series and was also chosen 2020 Goodreads Book of the Year for middle grade readers. You should read all five books to fully appreciate Apollo's transformation toward humanity. His character is the highlight of the series. It took a couple of books for him to more or less accept the loss of his powers and stature as a god of Olympus. This book highlighted his compassion for others and his willingness to sacrifice himself for humanity. His relationship with Meg also evolved, as he came a long way from being her slave, forced to follow her orders. They developed a deep connection that still included some funny conversations. Riordan's writing style typically included humor, and Apollo's dialogue frequently made me smile. The humor popped up even when Apollo was struggling to stay alive or getting divine advice from the oracle arrow kept in his quiver. Overall, I recommend you give this book and the series a shot, especially if you enjoy mythology, adventure, and wit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.