Thursday, April 8, 2021

Wings of Olympus #2: The Colt of the Clouds by Kallie George

The Colt of the Clouds (Wings of Olympus #2)My name is Pippa, and it's been two years since I was banished from Mount Olympus. I've never been one to settle down, so I hate my weaving lessons with Bas's mother. I don't see myself becoming someone else's wife and mother. I still enjoy riding Zephyr even though he's lost his wings, but I never expected to discover he has a son. I'm calling the young winged horse Tazo, but his kind are forbidden from walking on earth. The villagers have discovered Tazo's existence and think he's the cause of Poseidon's wrath. Zeus will know what to do about Tazo, so I must return to Mount Olympus without any other gods and goddesses knowing. I've met an annoying boy named Hero, who insists he's related to Hercules, and I can't get rid of him. However, once we arrived atop Mount Olympus, the only god left was Zeus.

You can probably read this book on its own, since you will learn any needed information from the first book. It's based on Greek mythology with gods, goddesses, and demigods being active participants. Poseidon is an antagonist, as he floods the villagers' crops with saltwater rain and releases his creatures into the stables of Mount Olympus. The author saves some surprises for later in the plot. A highlight is Hero's character, as he's clearly trying to make himself sound more important than reality. He tends to brag, is a know-it-all, and claims to never be afraid. However, he proves to be very loyal and has talents to share. He's a boy with low self-esteem who only wants to be accepted and to feel wanted. It takes Pippa awhile to recognize this. The story moves along nicely and includes bits of tension along the way. The author visits various areas related to Mount Olympus and introduces perilous obstacles. The absence of gods and goddesses gives the story an eerie feel, and the disappearance of the flying horses creates a mystery. Solving the mystery is Pippa's main motivation. Overall, I'm enjoying the series and recommend it for lovers of mythology and horses. The action's not super intense, but the story is entertaining. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.