Monday, May 25, 2020

Sisters Grimm #1: The Fairy-Tale Detectives by Michael Buckley

The Fairy-Tale Detectives (The Sisters Grimm, #1)My name is Sabrina, and my little sister Daphne and I were sent to live with our "grandmother". I knew the orphanage just dumped us with another stranger, although Daphne believed the wacky woman was our relative. I should have listened to her. Our family has been solving mysteries involving Everafters for centuries, and now Daphne and I must solve a big one. A giant has been tormenting the town, and it just snatched up Reida Grimm, our grandmother, and her strange companion. I didn't believe her claims about fairy tales, but I must believe my eyes. It's up to Daphne and me to solve this problem and discover who's behind it all.

Here's a book where the main characters discover they're descendants of the Brothers Grimm. Fairy tales are simply case file stories of mysteries their relatives solved over the centuries. Sabrina opens the book with a defiant attitude, unwilling to consider the possibility Reida Grimm is her grandmother. This attitude creates additional problems but also helps to introduce other characters, all of them from very familiar fairy tales. Prince Charming is the mayor, the three little pigs make up the police force, and Reida's companion has a predicable alter ego. Daphne is the level-headed sibling even though she's several years younger than her sister. This fact surprised me, since she behaved more as a partner than a less-mature little sister. Daphne doesn't overreact to her emotions and is more trusting than Sabrina. The main conflict centers on the capture of Reida Grimm, but an underlying conspiracy emerges. The antagonist is under orders from someone else, and the author makes it tricky to figure which characters are good or bad. Overall, I've enjoyed to book, and I'm looking forward to reading the sequel. I notice there are nine books in the series, so be prepared for a lot of reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.