Friday, April 17, 2020

The Tribe #1: The Interrogation of Ashala Wolf by Ambelin Kwaymullina

The Interrogation of Ashala Wolf (The Tribe #1)My name is Ash, and the government thinks people like me are a threat to the Balance. Illegals have specific abilities like speed, flying, firestarting, and altering memories. My ability is Sleepwalking, but I can’t use it unless I’m asleep. Chief Administrator Neville Rose at Detention Center 3 wants to learn about other Illegals in my Tribe, so he’s hooked me up to his interrogation machine. All Illegals have heard terrible stories about it, and I'm afraid of what Neville will do. The machine probes my mind for memories, and I’ve been trying to fight back as best I can. During the questioning, my thoughts drift to important moments in my past, and I’m struggling to keep them secret. I fear I’ve revealed the Serpent’s identity or his imminent attack. Have I doomed all the Illegals I call friends? 

The title threw me, because I couldn't figure out how an entire book could be about an interrogation. However, much of the plot described past events in Ash's life in order to explain the current situation. The early "reality" was significanlty altered once she regained some memories, so much of my time was spent reassessing my thoughts. This literary strategy was intriguing, but I kept wanting the present conflict to move along. It was my own personal taste, and other readers might not have any concerns. I'm still trying to figure out how I feel about it. Most of the characters were in their upper teens, but there was nothing overly mature in the plot. Yet. Two characters had feelings for each other, and I won't be surprised if their relationship develops some intensity in subsequent books. The underlying conflict of government versus society is common, and a rogue government official amps up the problem. Selecting a social group for persecution is not uncommon either, unfortunately. Overall, the book was interesting and had creative elements, and I think you might want to give it a shot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.