Monday, February 17, 2020

Dragonwatch #3: Master of the Phantom Isles by Brandon Mull

Master of the Phantom Isle (Dragonwatch, #3)My name is Seth, and I can't remember anything about my past. Others have called me by that name, but I don't know who I am. Luckily, a unicorn named Ronodin has taken care of me and is warning me about our enemies. I'm not sure why he brought me to the Under Realm, since I'm now indentured to the Underking. I can't leave this place without his permission. I'm now second-guessing the release of all the undead from the Blackwell. I don't want to hurt anyone innocent. The Sphinx said the wizard we saw was evil, but the man seemed to know me. I didn't sense any wickedness from him. Then there's the girl who said she's my sister. Why won't Ronodin let me speak to anyone who once knew me? What is he afraid I'll find out? Apparently I'm a shadow charmer, and I hope I can figure out a way to leave the Under Realm without causing harm to anyone.

I read Dragonwatch #2 a year and a half ago, so I forgot much of the events and characters. That's the frustrating thing about waiting for sequels to be published. Lucky for you, you can read the series from the beginning. The plot is split in two, as Seth deals with the Under Realm, and his sister Kendra addresses a war with the dragons while at the same time trying to locate her brother. Wyrmroost is the last sanctuary for magical creatures, and it's fallen. Kendra and her allies must find a new safe haven, but the locations are scarce. Seth's amnesia adds a special twist to the events, since readers are mostly aware of the motives behind the creatures he meets. If you can't tell from the summary above, Seth's being used by evil characters. It's interesting to see how the "good guys" react when the meet him. They all know he's being manipulated, and they understand why Seth won't trust what they say. However, they speak the truth anyhow and allow Seth's skeptical mind to walk away, hoping he'll eventually realize which characters are his true friends. But what if he doesn't? Overall, this book is very similar to Mull's other series, and it's a lot of fun. Creativity and adventure abound! I highly recommend you give it a shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.