Thursday, January 23, 2020

Johnny Dixon #3: The Spell of the Sorcerer's Skull by John Bellairs

The Spell of the Sorcerer's Skull (Johnny Dixon, #3)My name is Professor Childermass, and I've somehow gotten myself into a frightening situation. Johnny and I had gone on a short visit into northern New Hampshire where we were stuck my a fireside at the inn. The owner said he had a haunted Childermass clock in the corner, and he said it had been left on his doorstep. Well, the clock made by my father contained a miniature replica of the room where my great uncle had mysteriously died, but I still wasn't sure why it included a tiny skull on a shelf. The next morning, Johnny looked very tired but wouldn't tell me what was bothering him. No, it was like he couldn't tell me. I thought he was a little crazy when he asked about a Jack-o-Lantern in my upstairs window, but I now know something strange is going on. The last thing I remember is screaming for help, as I was pulled into the mirror.

As with the second book in the series, this one makes no mention of the strange events from the previous books. Consequently, the books can be read independently and will probably make more sense that way. I haven't been able to figure out why the author hasn't allowed Johnny and the other characters to recall his past experiences with spirits, even though some situations are quite similar. Johnny's inability to discuss what he'd seen that night at the inn is almost identical to what happened to him in the first book. His grandma is unaware that Johnny snuck away in the previous two books to follow other bizarre clues. It feels weird if you've read the whole series. This book differs from the first two, because Johnny makes a friend of a similar age. The college professor has been Johnny's best and only friend in the past, so it's nice to see Johnny interact with another kid. The books are easy to read and move along quickly. They aren't very long, the stories are 100-150 pages, so readers should be able to stay engaged. Overall, I'm enjoying the series, despite my concerns, and I recommend you give it a shot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.