Monday, September 30, 2019

Project Z #2: Zombies are People, Too by Tom Greenwald

Zombies Are People, Too (Project Z #2)My name is Evan, and my best friend Arnold is a zombie. He doesn't judge me for my handicap, and we have lunch together every day. You don't want to know what happens if he doesn't eat jelly beans. A scientist showed up from The Territory and wants Arnold to help other zombies learn to live among humans back at the facility. It's only supposed to be for a week, and I suppose he'll be back before I know it. But what if he's not? I know the Kinder family didn't want him to leave, but it seemed like they didn't have much of a choice. It's kind of funny that Sarah Anne is the one who got Kiki and I to start wondering about the situation. I'm not sure what's going on behind the facility's walls, but we're convinced we need to do something.

You should read A Zombie Ate My Homework to fully appreciate Arnold's character. He's overcome the misconceptions of zombies, and his classmates have embraced him. Bullies have asked him for friendship advice, and he tutors many of his fellow students. The funniest moments can be found when Arnold tries to explain human behavior to the other zombies. He can't explain why girls put make-up on every day but wipe it back off every night. How can throwing balls at each other be fun? Why don't human kids like green food? The main characters are an odd blend of personalities. Kiki is liked by everyone, while Evan has been ignored by many classmates, except for the bullies. Sarah Anne has special needs that require her to spell her thoughts on an electronic board. Then add a zombie who's still learning to be human. I'm not totally sure why this series entertains me so much. Arnold is a sympathetic character whose fate is controlled by the government. I feel empathy for his situation due to the political dishonesty at the center of the problem. This book is not classic literature by any stretch of the imagination, but it has a captivating quality to it. I suggest you give the series a shot, if you're interested in an amusing twist to zombies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.