Friday, March 1, 2019

The Blackwell Pages #1: Loki's Wolves by K.L. Armstrong & M.A. Marr

Loki's Wolves (The Blackwell Pages, #1)My name is Matt Thorson, and my family is descended from the Norse god Thor. While my brothers chose to play team sports, I've chosen to excel at boxing and wrestling. We all wear magic amulets, but my temper tends to activate mine. I always manage to find some way to disappoint my dad. The rune reader has announced I'll represent the Thorson family and fight the serpent during Ragnorak. However, I overheard my grandfather talking about the decision, and I was shocked by what he said. I've now run away to find other descendants of the gods who will help me in my quest. Surprisingly, Fen and Laurie are my first two recruits. They are related to Loki, and the wolves have always been enemies to Thor's family. We must find a way to work together or everything on Earth will be destroyed. 

I enjoy adventures based on mythology, and this book fits that description. This first book deals with Matt assembling a team of descendants from gods to fight the battle of Ragnorak. Fen clearly despises Matt and is overly protective of his cousin Laurie. These dynamics continue throughout most of the plot and add another layer of conflict. Laurie is sick and tired of the boys trying to keep her out of the action and wants to be a full contributor to the group's efforts. Matt comes off as a goody-goody character, as he's from a sheriff's family. The positive is he's an honorable and understanding leader, but the negative is that he's not ready to make hard and questionable decisions. These attributes are a direct contrast to Fen, who's judgmental and hates to avoid a fight. Their team grows to seven members, but that number changes toward the end of the book. They're searching for artifacts to help Matt defeat the serpent, and Loki's wolves are a constant threat. Fen has a history with them, so the interactions are personal for him. Overall, I'm enjoying this adventure of Norse mythology and have already started reading the sequel, Odin's Ravens.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.