Friday, October 26, 2018

The House With a Clock In Its Walls by John Bellairs

The House with a Clock in Its Walls (Lewis Barnavelt, #1)My name is Lewis, and I've come to live with my Uncle Jonathan after my parents died. Did I mention he's a real wizard!? There's a ticking clock somewhere inside the house, but we don't know if it's harmless or evil. It's hard for me to make friends, so I was stunned and excited when Tarby, the most popular boy in school, started hanging out with me. I told him about my uncle's magic, but then I made a big mistake. I told him I could cast a spell too. I met him in a cemetery, on Halloween, at midnight, and I was terrified when the incantation worked! I'm afraid my uncle will get rid of me if I tell him what I've done, but I know he senses something is seriously wrong. What have I done? Is this really The Last Judgment... the End of the World?

This book was a quick-read with a little over one-hundred pages. It was surprising the first half of the story didn't feel eerie at all despite the mysterious clock inside the walls of an old house. The mood clearly changed following Lewis's major, magical mistake. His character was overweight and lacked confidence in performing any physical activities. He was the target of bullying, which included his new "friend" Tarby. The plot evolved into a spooky mystery, since none of the characters understood what had happened. The author did a nice job of introducing the puzzling behavior of the home's previous owner and then blending it with the current events. The tension increased as the uncle was frightened of something but wouldn't share his concerns with Lewis. Imagining what might be wrong created more suspense than revealing the actual threat. With all this being said, I was underwhelmed after having high expectations for a book made into a movie. The story was good, but not great. I've read quite a few speculative fiction books, and this one didn't offer many surprises. Overall, this book is a wonderful choice if you're looking for a mysterious book that's also a quick-read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.