Tuesday, May 22, 2018

The Books of the Beginning #3: The Black Reckoning by John Stephens

The Black Reckoning (The Books of Beginning, #3)My name is Emma, and I am the keeper of the Reckoning. It's the book of death, but I must travel to the land of the dead to retrieve it. The Dire Magnus always seems to be one step ahead of Kate, Michael, and I, and I have no doubts he has plans for me. We must bring the three books together to stop the Dire Magnus, but a prophecy says this will also result in our deaths. Kate's feelings have become confused, since her friend Rafe's life has been absorbed into the Dire Magnus. The Atlas is changing her, and she's afraid to continue using the magic. I've learned that when we use the magic within the books, the fabric of all existence is being torn apart. I don't fully understand what that means, but it seems like the Reckoning and I are the keys to saving the world. 

This book is the conclusion to The Books of Beginning trilogy. I recommend you try it out, since it's full of magic, adventure, and action. The author adds some complications to the magic to keep things interesting. Michael experiences the memories of others when he uses his book, and Emma must judge people's lives when using her book. Michael's character is the most dynamic, as he undergoes dramatic changes. He gains more confidence and isn't afraid to take charge. He now accepts his relationship with a fairy princess, and it's an important factor in the plot. The author includes another twist, since the princess is able to change into a dragon when needed. It adds another dimension to Michael's feelings for her. The children's parents reappear after ten years away, and they may provide information that will allow their kids to survive the books. Once again, three young characters must face  a seemingly impossible conflict and somehow find a way out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.