Thursday, August 8, 2013

Falling In by Frances O'Roark Dowell

Falling InI wasn't sure I'd like this book as I started it, but I gave it a rating of five out of five after I finished. Isabelle constantly hears buzzing sounds in school, and her life really changes when she falls into a room in the nurse's office. She ends up in a fairy land, and sets out to meet a witch. Now the witch is supposed to be eating young children in this land, so Isabelle's decision doesn't seem very smart. She meets a young girl named Hen along the way and tricks her into searching for the witch too. They're tired and hungry and finally stop at the home of Grete, a kind, old woman who supplies medicines to her neighbors. When Isabelle finally decides to continue their search for the witch, the situation has seriously changed.

I surprised myself when I decided to give this book a rating of five. It's not action-packed, but the author created some subtle suspense. She did a wonderful job of letting the characters slowly develop, and I found myself making a connection with them. It truly made me think about the behavior and motivation of people, and it reminded how rumors and looks can be deceiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.