Friday, June 25, 2021

Potion Masters #3: The Seeking Serum by Frank L. Cole

My name is Gordy, and my grandfather is crazy. He has a manifesto that will rock the world of the Elixirists and all the people unaware of magic potions. My mother has been kicked out of B.R.E.W., the organization controlling the use of potions, so now everyone in the world seems to be out to arrest us, capture us, or take away our abilities. However, my ability differs from everyone else, since I can brew potions without having all the necessary ingredients. At this point, I don't know if B.R.E.W. or my grandfather is worse, but something needs to be done. Even though my mother wants to keep me safe, I'm the only one who can stop my grandfather. 


I wish this conclusion to the trilogy had been written two years ago when I finished the previous book. The potions were used frequently, but I didn't know the purpose for most of them. A glossary of spells was located at the back of the book, but who wants to keep referencing that when reading? The plot also included different groups of people, but it was unclear how they all differed. Again, things would probably have been clearer if I'd read the previous books more recently. Read the first two books first! Gordy was the main character, and his grandfather was the main antagonist. Pitting a child and grandparent against each other was an unusual conflict. However, Gordy was conflicted, as B.R.E.W. had done questionable things to Elixirists, so he wasn't sure if they weren't actually worse than his grandfather. This added to the suspense, since the resolution of the conflict was less clear. What would the world look like in the end? Gordy was aided by two non-Elixirist friends who added nice twists to the plot. Max contributed humor to the events, as he was looking for excitement and adventure. Adilene created a subplot, as she really wanted to be an Elixirist, but she was too old to manifest the skills. Or was she? Overall, I enjoyed the series and recommend you read the books straight through. Unlike me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.